Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Back-to-School

~Marissa~
wants to be a writer
~Isabella~
wants to get married and have a whole bunch of kids . . . back-up plan a nurse or doctor
~Jackson~
wants to be a baseball player or storm chaser/meteorologist
~Emmett~
wants to be a Lego inventor and design Lego kits
~Owen~
wants to be a Wal-mart worker
(I kid you not, that is what he told me . . . apparently he is a big Wal-mart fan?) ;o)
~
We had our first day back on August 11 and completed our first week without too many tears or gnashing of teeth.  To be quite frank, I was kind of dreading this start-up, wondering over and over how I would do it.  I haven't put August on a schedule, we just kind of fit him into our life (i.e. he cries I feed him . . . ).  I really didn't know how that was going to work while trying to keep everyone busy and on task.  But an amazing thing happened last week--he decided to nap from about 8:00-11:00 a.m.! I KNOW. Totally God's graciousness there!  While he hasn't done quite as awesome this week, he is still being quite obliging to the fact I am busy, and I am so thankful. Our schedule goes something like this:

6:00-7:00~we are waking up. My goal is to be up at 6:00 every day.  Josh has a morning bus route and needs to be leaving the house by 6:15.  If I want to see him, that is my chance. ;o) (But alas, I missed him this morning . . .) I have been trying to get back into my tea/Bible/prayer routine, and it truly works best for me in the early morning in a quiet house.
7:00-8:00~kids are mostly responsible for their own breakfasts (we keep it simple with cereals/oatmeal or they can make an "egg mcmuffin") and getting themselves ready for the day.
8:00-9:00~time I spend with Emmett and Owen and nobody is supposed to bother us.  I am working on a new Phonics curriculum with both of them.  Mainly I got it for Emmett who has been having some struggles, but I am throwing Owen into the mix to see if maybe he can catch on as well.  So far I LOVE it (Logic of English, Foundations A, in case anyone is interested).  Superbly boy friendly! The older three are supposed to work independently during this time--practice instrument, read, and any workbook stuff (saving questions for me for later).
9:00-11:00~what I call MORNING BLOCK. This is where we do history (M,T,W) and science (TH, F), and any math lessons, or explanations of other lessons that couldn't be done on their own during 8-9.  Emmett and Jackson are doing Mystery of History, "Creation to Resurrection" and studying ancient history.  Marissa and Isabella are doing Mystery of History, "Wars of Independence to Modern Times." For science we have a set of seven books from the Wonders of Creation series, the first one we are doing is meteorology.
11:00-12:00~lunch break . . . we eat, clean up, hopefully get supper prepped, reboot some laundry, etc.
12:00-2:00~AFTERNOON BLOCK . . . this is where we finish up whatever didn't get finished in the morning.  Mostly, that has been Latin for the girls.  Um yeah, Marissa requested Latin this year . . . it is kind of kicking my rear . . . But she loves it.  Isabella tolerates it. It is kind of hard . . . I may do something different for Isabella, as she genuinely has enjoyed vocabulary in the past--this might kill that love. ;o)
And then we have the afternoon to try to tend to the falling apart house . . .
~
I am keeping my days and life as simple as I can this year.  If somebody were to stop by on a surprise visit they really would not be impressed with my homemaking abilities, but I can assure you it is NOT because I am sitting around playing games on my phone all day . . . ;o)  It is a "keep my head above the water" kind of year.  We have found a wonderful teacher in Columbus for violin for Marissa (I am REALLY excited about her!). We don't have an official day of the week assigned yet, but we had a first "trial lesson" last week. Isabella is quitting violin.  She loves the piano, so I am going to start giving her lessons on that. Jackson's cello teacher will be in Lincoln (when we journey in on Wednesday night for Awana).  And that will be enough activities for the school year! As soon as we have our whole schedule laid out I need to sit down with my rotating menus/grocery lists for this new season of life. That will be a bit of an undertaking, but it is always so worth it to not have to think "what am I making for supper tonight?"  Once that occurs I will have all of our routines ready for the fall--I can't wait to feel on top of things again!! Routine is good. (Amen). ;o)


1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Great job, Teacher-Mom-Extraordinaire! Keep on keepin on. You're doing wonderful work.